[CentOS] acroread = resource hog

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 13 16:20:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 10:26 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 00:58 -0500, Ed Donahue wrote:
> > Any have trouble with acroread taking up massive cpu and memory?
>
> Not here.
>

> > I exited my Firefox browser and the lil bastard was still hogging up
> > my resources.
>
> I don't see it here. Maybe I need to look next time even though I see no
> adverse symptoms after use.
>

> > Took up 69% of 4GB, and wouldn't let go, until a kill -9 showed'em,
> > have to do it every time I open a pdf in firefox.
> >
> > Any use Xpdf or something else?
>
> I've tried the others and don't find them suitable for me.
>
> I don't know if my configuration is comparable to yours, but I'm on 5.x,
> fully updated, i386, 2GB ram, FF 3.x fully up-to-date, and the acroread
> is
>
> $ rpm -q AdobeReader_enu.i486
> AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i486
----
I tend to use Fedora for 'desktop' usage and CentOS for servers so I
don't use FF & acroread frequently on CentOS but...

acroread is a good program and runs really well.

acroread plugin in Firefox is a memory/resource hog - so I agree with OP
and I tend to just disable it so that when I click a PDF link in
Firefox, it just downloads the file and opens it up separately in
acroread application and everything is fine.

Though to be honest, now in Fedora 10, things are a bit better with
acroread plugin and I haven't disabled it yet.

Craig