[CentOS] CentOS-5.2 su -l is failing

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Jan 14 21:11:52 UTC 2009

I noticed that the suid mode was missing and set it with chmod u+s
/usr/bin/su.  Now the permissions are:

$ ll $(which su)
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 24120 May 24  2008 /bin/su

And now su -l works for ordinary users.  Thank you very much.

I am certain that I have not been changing file modes in /usr/bin, ever.
Does anyone have any idea how this change could occur?  Where would a file
mode change be logged, if at all?

Thanks.

Canada  L8E 3C3