[CentOS] CentOS-5.2 su -l is failing

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jan 14 22:35:46 UTC 2009

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I noticed that the suid mode was missing and set it with chmod u+s
> /usr/bin/su.  Now the permissions are:
>
> $ ll $(which su)
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 24120 May 24  2008 /bin/su
>
> And now su -l works for ordinary users.  Thank you very much.
>
> I am certain that I have not been changing file modes in /usr/bin, ever.
> Does anyone have any idea how this change could occur?  Where would a file
> mode change be logged, if at all?

I'm not aware of anything out side of host intrusion detection
systems that would log something like a file mode change, Not
sure what might of changed it, short of someone mistyping a
command perhaps a find command with -exec chmod run as root from
the wrong directory or a chmod -R or something.

nate