[CentOS] [OT] Simple Shell Script (while loop)

James Bensley

jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 07:44:29 UTC 2009

Hey Guys,

I can not find the corrent syntax for what I am trying to acheive with a
while loop. Having said that I'm not exactly sure what you would call it so
I have been googling with no success probably for that reason.

I am just working with some sub directories except there is one I don't want
to use so I have a while loop like the following; if we stubmle into the sub
directory I wish to leave alone then there is an IF statement and I have
used the break command which is wrong, I don't want to end this whole loop I
just want to skip onto the next increment of the loop as it were skipping
this sub directory. Break is the wrong command but what should it be? Sorry
I can't be any clearer but I don't know exactly what you would call this
(which is why I am having no success finding it for my self!)

#!/bin/bash
find ./ -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read FOLDER
do
        if [ $FOLDER == "./not_this_folder_oh_no!" ]; then
                break
        fi
        <otherwise do some magic here>
done