[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 3 16:41:53 UTC 2009

on 6-3-2009 2:27 AM Peter Hopfgartner spake the following:
> Epilogue:
>
> I've tried to disable TSO (ethtool -K eth0 tso off), as was suggested on
> the poweredge list. This did not help.
>
> I've configured the machine to start with the 5.2 kernel in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf, changing the default. It has been running for 6
> 1/2 days, now. I would say that this helped and is what I would suggest
> to others experiencing the same problem, right now.
>
> Thus, current running kernel is  2.6.18-92.1.10.el5xen.
>
> Regards and thanks for all replies,
>
> Peter

That sure points to a machine/kernel conflict. You could try getting the
source and rebuilding to see if that solves it, or maybe a diff of the two
kernel configs to see if something is different there. Maybe someting is added
or turned on in the new kernel that your system doesn't like.

Also, make sure your systems bioses are up to date. Not just motherboard, but
any other cards that have firmware that might have an update like raidcard/sas
controllers or ???