[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Mon Jun 8 13:18:28 UTC 2009

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 6-3-2009 2:27 AM Peter Hopfgartner spake the following:
>
>> Epilogue:
>>
>> I've tried to disable TSO (ethtool -K eth0 tso off), as was suggested on
>> the poweredge list. This did not help.
>>
>> I've configured the machine to start with the 5.2 kernel in
>> /boot/grub/grub.conf, changing the default. It has been running for 6
>> 1/2 days, now. I would say that this helped and is what I would suggest
>> to others experiencing the same problem, right now.
>>
>> Thus, current running kernel is  2.6.18-92.1.10.el5xen.
>>
>> Regards and thanks for all replies,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> That sure points to a machine/kernel conflict. You could try getting the
> source and rebuilding to see if that solves it, or maybe a diff of the two
> kernel configs to see if something is different there. Maybe someting is added
> or turned on in the new kernel that your system doesn't like.
>
> Also, make sure your systems bioses are up to date. Not just motherboard, but
> any other cards that have firmware that might have an update like raidcard/sas
> controllers or ???

Dear Scott,

unfortunately the machine is in production. Any downtime is really a
problem since it is seen directly by our customers. I would really like
to do some active effort to isolate the problem, but my boss would cut
my head off, if I have to stop the machine. The firmware is not current,
but according to Dell's web site I should stop almost every running
service on the machine before upgrading the firmware, and in this case I
would again have to watch out for my head. I do really care to provide
accurate bug reports to OS projects that I use (I would guess that 90 %
of my reports lead to a quick fix), but in this case I do have to make
an exception and keep the machine running.

Thanks,

Peter

--

Dott. Peter Hopfgartner