[CentOS] how to debug random server reboots

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 3 17:23:52 UTC 2009

on 6-2-2009 11:53 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> On 6/3/09, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> on 6-2-2009 2:46 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:

>>> Hi Scott, the server is in the USA, and I'm in ZA. I've been trying to
>>> get the IDC to look into the problem, but they're not very helpful and
>>> recon I need to check my software. I know the "server" runs desktop
>>> hardware, so it could be a hardware problem, but they don't seem to
>>> think so.
>>>
>>> So, I'm trying todo everything I can, from my side, via SSH to see if
>>> I can figure it out.
>>>
>> Will the data center hang a serial port monitor on it for a while? Many of
>> them will do it for free, or a few dollars a day, and give you remote access
>> into it. Is it your server, or a lease/rental?
>>

> It's a rented server from a 3rd party who feels that it's not their
> problem. Seems I need to get a new server, from someone else.

That might be best, if just to get a decent provider. If they aren't willing
to check it, they are a poor excuse for a service business. And the fact that
the system isn't functioning properly should be enough for you to get out of a
contract if you have one.