[CentOS] Server Build Example

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 5 22:24:31 UTC 2009

gene.poole at macys.com wrote:
> I'm coming from the Fedora arena and I want to build, what I would
> call, a production server.  I'm to the point where I don't want to
> upgrade every 6-months.  I'm running Oracle DB 11g, a Tomcat/JBoss
> hybrid application server, and several other server type functions.
>
> Is there an example of building a server that boots into init3?

A) install CentOS 5 minimal or base, configure as needed.  update to
current patches with...

    yum -y update

B) use yum install XXXX to install any other tools you need as you go.
I almost always install...

    yum -y install sysstat         ; server IO performance tools like
iostat, sar
    yum -y group-install "Development Tools"    ; if you need to compile
anything w/ gcc etc
    yum -y erase gcc-java                        ; horrible gcj should
be burned but its dragged in with development-tools

but your mileage may vary.

C) edit /etc/inittab and insure the first non-comment line reads...

  id:3:initdefault:

(the '3' is the boot init level)

done.