[CentOS] Basic setup for vsftpd ?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:33:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently fiddling with G4U (Ghost for Unix), and I need to setup a
> local FTP server in order to get it to work.
>
> # yum groupinstall "FTP Server" --> installed vsftpd
>
> Here's what I'd like to do :
>
> * no anonymous access
> * only one user (user 'install' / pass 'install')
>
> The machine I'm installing it on has a static IP ok
> (192.168.1.252/255.255.255.0).
>
> I tried to fiddle with the various configuration options in vsftpd.conf,
> but to no avail. Googled quite some, but the information I found doesn't
> seem reliable, more like contradictory.
>
> One detail: this isn't a publicly accessible machine, e. g. it's not out
> there on the wild internet, only on the LAN, so there's no special
> security considerations.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Niki Kovacs

Niki, if the machine isn't on the internet, then you don't really need to
worry about the security :)

But, to answer the question, do this:

in the /etc/vsftpd.conf, change anonymous_enable to NO

Taken from man vsftpd.conf:

       anonymous_enable
              Controls  whether  anonymous  logins are permitted or not. If
enabled, both the usernames ftp and anonymous are recognised as
              anonymous logins.

              Default: YES

I'm not sure if you can only allow a single user to access it though
--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers