[CentOS] OT: Viewer for .docx M$ WORD files?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:50:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Filipe: Thank you for the very quick and very detailed reply. Much
> appreciated!

No problem! Happy to help.

> Follow on questions: (a) Should I uninstall the
> OpenOffice.org 2.3 group  I installed with the distro?

Yes. I believe you should do it to avoid conflicts with the .desktop
files (the shortcuts that will create the icons in your desktop). I
remember seeing that it was recommended to do it, but I don't remember
where I read that and if the reason for it was said or not...

> (If so, can you
> give me the yum command to uninstall the entire OpenOffice.org group?)

I did it with:

# rpm -e $(rpm -qa openoffice\*)

I remember doing it this way in CentOS 4, in CentOS 5 I don't remember
the exact command but it was something on these lines.

> (b) If I should leave OO 2.3 as is, should I install OpenOffice 3.1
> into /usr/local?   Lanny

The RPMs do not really give you a choice of where to install (AFAIK).
It will install them under /opt/openoffice.org and
/opt/openoffice.org3. It will not put anything on PATH, so if you want
to be able to start oowriter or oocalc from command-line you will need
to add it to the PATH yourself or create symbolic links (I also
believe the names of the commands are swriter, scalc, etc. instead of
oo*, I created symbolic links with the other name so that it worked
for who was using those names already.)

> Bill: If I can't get OO 3.1 to work as Filipe suggested, I will check
> out NeoOffice for Linux. Lanny

I believe NeoOffice is for Mac only. I was using (an older version of)
it on my MacBook, but after the success with OpenOffice 3.1 on Linux I
actually uninstalled NeoOffice and installed OpenOffice 3.1 on my Mac,
it works great as well.

HTH,
Filipe