[CentOS] OT: Viewer for .docx M$ WORD files?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:54:44 UTC 2009

wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Ross Walker<rswwalker at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> OK. I have OpenOffice.org Writer 3.1 open.    :-)
>>> There is a big problem with the way the .docx file was displayed. It
>>> is not pretty. I can see most or all of the words, but they are not
>>> where they should be. A formatting problem that I can fix?
>>>
>>> Thank you, again, for sharing your time and expertise.  Much
>>> appreciated!   Lanny
>>
>> Most probably a font problem you can fix.
>>
>> Look for msttcorefonts there is a spec file you download to build the
>> rpm, pre-requisites are rpm-build, redhat-rpm-config, cabextract
>> (epel), maybe make.
>>
>> Put the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC then from that directory
>> run
>> 'rpmbuild -ba msttcorefonts.spec' and after it downloads, extracts
>> and
>> builds the rpm it should be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch. Just
>> rpm -
>> ivh it from there and save a copy for future use.
>>
>> Sometimes the font mirrors hang, so if it hangs downloading something
>> just ctrl-c out of it and re-run the rpmbuild.
>>
> Ross: Where do I get msttcorefonts and the spec file? Are they in the
> OO 3.1 files I got yesterday? (If so, I don't see them and I don't
> think there is any source there). Thank you for all of the above
> information! If I am home tomorrow, I will give this a shot.  I have
> another user with the dev tools installed on this box, so hopefully
> have some or most of what I need, ready to try this. Lanny

No, it's a DIY project.

Microsoft provides the fonts free of charge, but the original
packaging system must be preserved for distribution which means those
who want them have to build their own rpm packages.

Just 'yum install rpm-build redhat-config-rpm' and then get cabextract
from EPEL (either download it from the repo directly or install the
repo config and use yum). Then try to follow my earlier directions.

-Ross