[CentOS] OT: Viewer for .docx M$ WORD files?

Wed Jun 10 21:42:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Ross Walker<rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> OK. I have OpenOffice.org Writer 3.1 open.    :-)
>> There is a big problem with the way the .docx file was displayed. It
>> is not pretty. I can see most or all of the words, but they are not
>> where they should be. A formatting problem that I can fix?
>>
>> Thank you, again, for sharing your time and expertise.  Much
>> appreciated!   Lanny
>
> Most probably a font problem you can fix.
>
> Look for msttcorefonts there is a spec file you download to build the
> rpm, pre-requisites are rpm-build, redhat-rpm-config, cabextract
> (epel), maybe make.
>
> Put the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC then from that directory run
> 'rpmbuild -ba msttcorefonts.spec' and after it downloads, extracts and
> builds the rpm it should be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch. Just rpm -
> ivh it from there and save a copy for future use.
>
> Sometimes the font mirrors hang, so if it hangs downloading something
> just ctrl-c out of it and re-run the rpmbuild.

Ross: Where do I get msttcorefonts and the spec file? Are they in the
OO 3.1 files I got yesterday? (If so, I don't see them and I don't
think there is any source there). Thank you for all of the above
information! If I am home tomorrow, I will give this a shot.  I have
another user with the dev tools installed on this box, so hopefully
have some or most of what I need, ready to try this. Lanny