[CentOS] OT: Viewer for .docx M$ WORD files?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:08:08 UTC 2009

wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Filipe
> Brandenburger<filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 22:44, Lanny
>> Marcus<lmmailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Please give me the rpm or yum command that will uninstall OO 2.3,
>>> and
>>> leave OO 3.1 in place.
> <snip>
>> # rpm -e $(rpm -qa openoffice.org-\*-2.3.0-\*)
>> If that does not work, it might be easier to just uninstall
>> everything
>> and start over again:
>
> Filipe:  No joy with that command:
> [root at dell2400 ~]# rpm -e $(rpm -qa openoffice.org-\*-2.3.0-\*)
> rpm: no packages given for erase
> [root at dell2400 ~]#
>
> But, as I was writing a reply to you, I got an idea, which was to use
> your syntax, with "yum remove" and it did remove 10 packages.     :-)
> <snip>
>> (then install the RPM for GNOME integration)
>
> OK. I have OpenOffice.org Writer 3.1 open.    :-)
> There is a big problem with the way the .docx file was displayed. It
> is not pretty. I can see most or all of the words, but they are not
> where they should be. A formatting problem that I can fix?
>
> Thank you, again, for sharing your time and expertise.  Much
> appreciated!   Lanny

Most probably a font problem you can fix.

Look for msttcorefonts there is a spec file you download to build the
rpm, pre-requisites are rpm-build, redhat-rpm-config, cabextract
(epel), maybe make.

Put the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC then from that directory run
'rpmbuild -ba msttcorefonts.spec' and after it downloads, extracts and
builds the rpm it should be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch. Just rpm -
ivh it from there and save a copy for future use.

Sometimes the font mirrors hang, so if it hangs downloading something
just ctrl-c out of it and re-run the rpmbuild.

-Ross