[CentOS] How to reply to a digest

Thu Jun 11 20:58:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM, M. Fioretti<mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 07:42:28 AM -0400, David McGuffey wrote:
>> So...what is the appropriate way to respond when one is receiving
>> the digest version?
>
> It probably is to automatically split the digest into the original,
> separate message as soon as it arrives, using procmail or
> formail. Search for "procmail split digests" and you'll find
> several explanations.
>
> This said, I really have to ask: do whatever you like as long as you
> don't break threads but... why on Earth do you use digests? Are you
> with an ISP which limits how many messages you can receive per day?
> That's the only valid reasons I've ever read for digests in ~15 years
> of email usage...

I received the Digest version, when we had dial up access to the
Internet. Probably I was advised, like others, that I was breaking the
threading, when I replied to messages, although I tried to cut and
paste and keep it as correct as possible. I got this gmail account for
the mailing list and haven't looked back. So far, never a complaint
I've broken the thread. :-)