[CentOS] Problems with Broadcom 4312 wireless

David McGuffey davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Thu Jun 11 23:21:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 12:00 -0400, centos-request at centos.org wrote:
> Message: 49
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:50:31 -0400
> From: Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problems with Broadcom 4312 wireless
>
> David McGuffey wrote:

> > Last problem is with the Broadcom 4312 wireless device.  Again, did
> some
> > research and found two ways.  One was the Broadcom provided Linux
> > driver, and the other was the guidance on how to use fw-cutter from
> > linuxwireless.com.
>
> This forum thread may be useful:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20640&forum=40
>
> Although it is for a similar but different piece of Broadcom
> hardware,
> and does not come to a clean resolution, the key point seems to be:
>
> Will you please now look at the output of a /sbin/lspci -n command
> that
> relates to your BCM4311 card.
>
> If the Vendor:Device ID pairing is one of the following --
>
> 14E4:4301
> 14E4:4307
> 14E4:4311
> 14E4:4312
> 14E4:4318
> 14E4:4319
> 14E4:4320
> 14E4:4324
> 14E4:4325
>

> -- then the bcm43xx driver module present in the distributed CentOS
> kernel will be appropriate for that card. In other words, there will
> be
> no need for you to use ndiswrapper.
Not using ndiswrapper.  Output of lspci -n gives 14e4:4312

I believe I'm really close.  After installing the firmware with
fw-cutter, the load complaint about not finding bcm43xx-microcode5.fw
went away.  And...the device appears to attempt negotiation with the AP.

Found another piece of guidance that the bcm43xx driver has problems
with WEP and shared key...will try open authentication and WPA/WPA2
tonight.

Dave