[CentOS] re-install over internet

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jun 13 15:18:14 UTC 2009

Bob Puff wrote:
> Is there a way to launch an installer while in the OS that I can re-install
> the whole thing over the internet, without having to physically go to the box?
>  Speed of installation is not that much of an issue.  It would obviously need
> to keep up some sort of shell with my current eth0 settings during the install.

you'd need a remote console of some sort on that box.   many brand name
servers have these, HP calls it iLO, Dell calls it DRAC, etc.   these
have their own ethernet port, which has to be connected to the network
and configured.   you'd also need a PXE server on the same network
segment to do a jumpstart install from, or use a virtual CD with that
remote console (slow if you're not onsite)

Barring that, I think you are SOL.