[CentOS] Cyrus IMAP and ipurge

Jeff jlar310 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:53:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz> wrote:

> Anyone here familiar with Cyrus IMAP and its util ipurge?
>
> We'd like to set auto deletion of our users' spambox folders, but I'm a
> bit paranoid about its functionality.
>
> The main things that confuse me are from the man page:
>
> "Ipurge  deletes  messages from the mailbox(es) specified by
> mailbox-pattern"
>
> with no indication as to what defines "mailbox-pattern"
>
> Second:
>
> "Ipurge  by  default  only  deletes mail below shared folders, which
> means that mails in mail- box(es) below INBOX.* and user.* stay
> untouched. Use the option -f to  also  delete  mail  in mailbox(es)
> below these folders."
>
> What's a "shared folder"?
>
> OK, so the format of a Junk mail folder is:
>
> user/spiro/Junk at knossos.net.nz
>
> and I've successfully done:
>
> $ ipurge -f -d 90 user/spiro/Junk at knossos.net.nz
> Working on user/spiro/Junk at knossos.net.nz...
> total messages                   21
> total bytes                      187742
> Deleted messages                 16
> Deleted bytes                    138324
> Remaining messages               5
> Remaining bytes                  49418
>

> however, without the -f, it did nothing, even though I was explicitly
> supplying a folder. Clearly I misunderstand what the man page is trying
> to tell me.
>
> I'd like to set up a proper "pattern" to purge all spamboxes correctly
> via the cyrus.conf, because at the moment, I've got an awk script that
> generates a list of email addresses and produces a list in the format of
> user/userid/Junk at domain. I could then go over that list and run an
> ipurge for each one, but if anything happens that causes that list to
> be corrupted, I'm afraid of deleting the wrong mail. or worse. :(
>
> according to what I've gathered, the line:
>
> purgespam   cmd="ipurge -f -d 90 user/%/Junk@*" at=0430
>
> should work when put in cyrus.conf's Events section, but I can't
> confirm these wildcards. Some results on google just refer to * for the
> mailbox name, but none seem to include the domain as part of the string.
>
> Can anyone here shed some light?

Can't help much with ipurge. I never did like how it works. I have chosen a
different approach using the cyradm mboxconfig command to set the expire
option on each mailbox as needed. The 'expire' option is
set-it-and-forget-it. Yet this approach lacks managability. There is no
quick and easy way to survey all of your user mailboxes to check the expire
option settings.

Jeff