[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:54:32 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/15/2009 05:31 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> What I meant was, PHP talks to PHP script engine, which talks to Apache,
>> which then talks to system commands. - is there a quicker way of doing it?
>
> you might find that this is the fastest way of doing things in a single
> stack, if you dont have state movement. Have you looked at the
> complexity of getting a java stack or a ruby stack up ( as a comparison ) ?

With java, you should be able to use the stock openjdk and tomcat5
packages (finally!) and be all set so it is a matter of dropping war
files in the right place.  Even complex things like hudson or opengrok
will 'just work' (and if you do any software development you should look
at both).

On the other hand the guy here using ruby doesn't think the packaged
Centos stuff is usable.  Realistically, it is hard to keep complex
modular tools where you want to use at least some of the very latest
parts in sync with what an enterprise distribution packages.  That might
be sort-of a plus for python if you can live with whatever version yum
needs and pay attention to what is going to break when it does version
changes.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com