[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:47:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 06/15/2009 05:31 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> What I meant was, PHP talks to PHP script engine, which talks to Apache,
>>> which then talks to system commands. - is there a quicker way of doing it?
>>
>> you might find that this is the fastest way of doing things in a single
>> stack, if you dont have state movement. Have you looked at the
>> complexity of getting a java stack or a ruby stack up ( as a comparison ) ?
>
> With java, you should be able to use the stock openjdk and tomcat5
> packages (finally!) and be all set so it is a matter of dropping war
> files in the right place.  Even complex things like hudson or opengrok
> will 'just work' (and if you do any software development you should look
> at both).
>
> On the other hand the guy here using ruby doesn't think the packaged
> Centos stuff is usable.  Realistically, it is hard to keep complex
> modular tools where you want to use at least some of the very latest
> parts in sync with what an enterprise distribution packages.  That might
> be sort-of a plus for python if you can live with whatever version yum
> needs and pay attention to what is going to break when it does version
> changes.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

Hi Les,

This is something I need to take into consideration, and I've been
looking at many different control panels to see how they handle it,
and it seems that a lot of vendors have their own repository, which
the client (or setup script) will add to the yum repositories list,
and from there I could control the software being used. i.e. If I know
my stuff works well on Apache 2.2.0, but not yet on 2.2.3 (for
example), I could have the Apache 2.2.0 rpm in my repository, untill
such a time that I feel it's ready to add 2.2.3.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers