[CentOS] card reader not responding

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jun 20 21:53:08 UTC 2009

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> nate wrote:
>> You can try to find the drivers yourself and compile them from
>> source but I think for you is probably more trouble than it's
>> worth given my impression of your linux experience.
>
> Ok - the curious / adventurous part of me wants to know if that's all
> I'd have to do. Not that I'm considering it ... well, maybe, down the
> road a ways.

Really depends on the driver, it could be a really simple process
but if the driver is integrated into the kernel then you either
would have to upgrade the kernel manually to that version with the
driver or try to bring the driver back into your kernel version which
often times isn't trivial. I've been using linux since about 1995 and
I wouldn't even try that these days.

If the driver was available as a standalone tarball/source code it
can't hurt to try to build it on your current kernel, but finding
it could be tricky. Unlike video drivers, or network drivers, USB
storage drivers don't seem too often to be made available as
standalone packages for linux in my experience.

nate