[CentOS] Filesystem backup?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Jun 21 19:44:08 UTC 2009

> Without snapshots there is some risk to get inconsistent set of files when
> you make a backup of live file system. In general this is a problem but I'm
> not sure about your case. Actually there is another solution to this problem
> shutdown the system and take the backup using bootable CD/DVD (or booting
> from another OS installation).
>
> You should unmount a file system before backing up with dd. You can also
> take a look at Clonezilla which is an open-source image-backup software.

The OP has no physical access to the machine, so unmounting the root
file system is not possible.  This pretty much rules out dd.  dump and
rsync WILL work just fine.  Yes, the second disk won't be an exact
mirror -- short of creating a software RAID 1 (mirroring) set it is not
going to be possible to do that.  I outlined (in another message) a
reasonable procedure to create an up-to-date (within 24 hours) backup
disk that will generally be an acceptable replacement system disk
should the original disk die.

The 'inconsistenies' caused by a backup of a live file system are
generally small are are not going to be fatal using proper backup tools
(like dump, tar, cpio, and rsync).  Mostly you will lose the last 24
hours worth of log files and stuff like that (assuming a once-a-day use
of rsync).  Nothing critical to the operation of the system.