[CentOS] Filesystem backup?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Jun 21 19:44:06 UTC 2009

> I think about using dd instead of dump? Is this an acceptable idea?

*NO!*.  dd is NOT a proper backup tool...  I don't know where the idea
that it is comes from (probably some really old UNIX sys admin book or
something). dd has many uses, but it is not normally considered a
backup tool.  Dump is a perfectly acceptable backup tool.  Dump was
*designed* as the backup tool of choice. And it works just fine on a
read-write file system, with the *standard* disclaimer that if used on
a file system that is 'active', it (*like all backup tools*) will miss
files that are being created/writen to during the backup.  Generally,
the missed files will be gotten on a later backup.  On a normal, typical
system, one would run the full backup at a 'quiet' time (a time frame
of low activity, with the idea of avoiding having the backup interfere
with normal activities and of normal activities interfering with the
backup. On a typical normal system, the missed files will likely be
things like the tail end of log files or various trasienent files (like
mail queue files and the like).

If you want a non-live mirror on the second does do this:

Pick a 'quiet' time (say on a quiet Sunday morning) and do this:

(Assume that /dev/sdb1 is the sole partition on the second disk):

# mkfs.ext3 -L SecondDisk /dev/sdb1
# mkdir /seconddisk
# mount -v -t ext3 LABEL=SecondDisk /seconddisk
# dump 0f - / | (cd /seconddisk; restore -rf -)

At this point pick out a good book to read and get comfortable and read
a chapter or three or you can do whatever you would do to kill some time
-- ie go for a walk (or walk the dog), play a game of hoops or go for a
swim or whatever.  I am assuming that the disk is probably good sized,
so full dump may take some time.  You could stare at the screen for an
hour, if that floats your boat...  Dump will display a progress report
every 5 minutes.

# umount -v /seconddisk

Now create a script (Let's call it '/usr/local/sbin/dailybackup'):

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/e2fsck -C -T -a LABEL=SecondDisk
mount -v -t ext3 LABEL=SecondDisk /seconddisk
rsync -v -a -x -H --delete --delete-after --exclude=lost+found/ / /seconddisk
umount -v /seconddisk

# chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/dailybackup

Now create a daily cron job:

# crontab -e

Add the line:

10 0 * * * /usr/local/sbin/dailybackup

And you are all set.  Once a day an 10 past midnight, the backup disk
will be sync'ed to the live system disk.  Every morning you will get a
message from cron with the output.

If you really want to, you can change the '0' above to '0,6,12,18' and
the sync'ing will happen every 6 hours.  This is *probably* overkill.