[CentOS] Minor dovecot/KMail problem

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 24 00:41:07 UTC 2009

Gary Greene wrote:
> I again reiterate: have you tested this on a vanilla installation of KDE?

No. In fact I haven't personally tested this at all, the OP did.

> Don't assume its an upstream bug until you have verified it by getting the
> upstream sources and testing it.

This demand makes no sense. Users don't have vanilla installations (they use
the packages provided by their distribution) and are certainly not going to
build KDE from source just to prove something which should be obvious to
everybody except you (also considering the fact that it can be reproduced
on more than one distribution). And packagers also have other things to do
than building unpatched packages, also considering that it'd mean also
building vanilla kdelibs etc. and also considering that sometimes the
unpatched source doesn't even compile (e.g. because nobody tested it with
the latest GCC which is used in Fedora) or is just broken in some other
way. Plus, installing a properly-packaged vanilla KDE means replacing the
distro one which is also something nobody wants to do.

> As I said, most distributions patch KDE pretty heavily with vendor and
> community patches, some of which change behaviours (both defaults and
> code) from the expected ones from the upstream.

I know what distribution packagers do, I *am* a Fedora KDE packager. And we
ask users to report their bugs upstream unless there is evidence that
they're specific to Fedora. The vast majority of bugs which are reported to
us are NOT specific to Fedora, they're upstream bugs. Also note that we
don't even have that many patches, we try to stay as close to upstream as
possible.

And as Fedora and Debian use DIFFERENT patches, trying to blame issues on
patches when they can be reproduced in both distros is complete nonsense.

Please stop the bullshit, this is an upstream bug and needs to be reported
and fixed upstream! In distro-specific bug trackers, it'll just bitrot, or
you'll be asked to report it upstream if there's active triaging going on
(which is what happens in Fedora, our triager or one of us packagers will
ask the user to file the bug upstream).

        Kevin Kofler (a Fedora KDE comaintainer)