[CentOS] Minor dovecot/KMail problem

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:39:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:41, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> I again reiterate: have you tested this on a vanilla installation of KDE?
>> Don't assume its an upstream bug until you have verified it by getting the
>> upstream sources and testing it.
>
> this is an upstream bug and needs to be reported
> and fixed upstream!

Although I agree that most bugs in KDE are upstream bugs and not
distro-specific, in my recent experience what I have seen is that KDE
is dismissing the bugs saying that the bug does not exist in KDE 4 and
that users should upgrade, which is obviously not an option for users
of CentOS 4 or 5 (or RHEL for that matter).

I support an environment with about 25 users of CentOS (4) desktops,
most of them used KDE and KMail (for historical reasons), but recently
when they start bumping at those bugs I don't even bother and
recommend that they move to GNOME and Thunderbird instead, which are
much better supported, both in CentOS/RHEL, and in their own projects.

Some might consider KDE superior, but as long as they will refuse to
support KDE 3, they are dead to me...

Filipe