[CentOS] Minor dovecot/KMail problem

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Wed Jun 24 07:27:22 UTC 2009

On 6/23/09 8:39 PM, "Filipe Brandenburger" <filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:41, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>>> I again reiterate: have you tested this on a vanilla installation of KDE?
>>> Don't assume its an upstream bug until you have verified it by getting the
>>> upstream sources and testing it.
>>
>> this is an upstream bug and needs to be reported
>> and fixed upstream!
>
> Although I agree that most bugs in KDE are upstream bugs and not
> distro-specific, in my recent experience what I have seen is that KDE
> is dismissing the bugs saying that the bug does not exist in KDE 4 and
> that users should upgrade, which is obviously not an option for users
> of CentOS 4 or 5 (or RHEL for that matter).
>
> I support an environment with about 25 users of CentOS (4) desktops,
> most of them used KDE and KMail (for historical reasons), but recently
> when they start bumping at those bugs I don't even bother and
> recommend that they move to GNOME and Thunderbird instead, which are
> much better supported, both in CentOS/RHEL, and in their own projects.
>
> Some might consider KDE superior, but as long as they will refuse to
> support KDE 3, they are dead to me...
>
> Filipe

Not to be a stickler about this, but GNOME did exactly the same thing when
they went from 1.4 to 2.0. This is another case of major version pains that
have bit KDE since the release of 4.0 that other major projects have had in
the past. This is not to say that it is a good excuse, but it does happen...

As I told Kevin off-list, this is has caused some members in the KDE
development community a certain amount of grief as bugsquad has started
taking up the policy a few months back that you described above. (I
personally feel the ball was dropped, and it wan't a good decision to cut
out KDE3 support so early. I can see maybe killing off support for it three
years after the last release, but not less than one year as has occurred.)