[CentOS] Make sshd log IP addresses, not hostnames

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:23:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:02, Scott Moseman<scmoseman at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I did change the config entry and it is logging IP addresses,
> apparently that's not my problem.  Even when using legit IP addresses my
> iptables rejects aren't working?  I guess that means its not a
> forward/reverse DNS problem causing my issue.  I have to use /etc/hosts.deny
> to stop some of the ssh attacks.  Very weird.

If you want some help to diagnose your iptables config, please give
some details on what the config is (output of "iptables -nvL" is a
good start) and which specific case makes you think it is not working.

If you want good tips on how to secure SSH, please do also check this wiki page:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH

HTH,
Filipe