[CentOS] Set hostname via DHCP ?

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jun 28 15:55:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:38 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I just setup one of my machines as a DHCP server. I'd like it to handle
> the hostnames of clients. Don't know if this is an orthodox thing to do

I really don't know if it's "orthodox" or not, but I've been doing it
like this for years. ;^>

> (feel free to add your comments :oD). Here's the server's relevant lines
> of dhcpd.conf:
>
> --8<-------
> # Envoyer les noms d'hôtes aux clients
> use-host-decl-names on;
>
> # Adresses statiques
> host babasse {
>    hardware ethernet 00:0d:61:ae:6b:8f;
>    fixed-address 192.168.1.249;
> }
> --8<-------

This config is just about identical to mine.

> Now the question is: how should the configuration look like on the
> client side, so the hostname gets effetively fetched from the DHCP
> server? During the initial install, I assigned hostnames manually to
> every machine.

Unless you have modified the DHCP client config, the machine SHOULD get
the hostname by default.  You can verify this by checking the contents
of /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases to see the data that the
client has gotten from the server.

Since I let my client machines get all this from DHCP during
installation, I'm not completely sure what you need to do to make the
manually-assigned hostname go away.  I THINK that if you comment out the
line for the host's IP address in /etc/hosts the system will use the
hostname from DHCP, but I haven't exercised that stuff in years.