[CentOS] Set hostname via DHCP ?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:35:06 UTC 2009

# i do NOT have any kind of use-host-decl-names on; entry.  Do you use
dnsmasq or dhcpd?
# /etc/dhcpd.conf   Not sure if a dnsmasq entry would be the same anymore.
host babasse {
    hardware ethernet 00:0d:61:ae:6b:8f;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.249;
    option host-name
"PutClientHostNameHereNotSureIfItHasToBeSameAsAbove-babasse";
}

#Don't remember what happens when a linux client machine has already
been configured.
#But know for a fact that all pxe booted and live linux booted and
Windows Vista and WinXP
#machines use the hostname from the dhcpd entry.