[CentOS] Set hostname via DHCP ?

Andreas Pedersen ansenlong at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:06:32 UTC 2009

If your trying to make CentOS/Fedora boxes to get hostname remember you need
to have localhost.localdomain in /etc/sysconfig/network.
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

see around line 252-261
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions
need_hostname ()
{
    CHECK_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
    if [ "$CHECK_HOSTNAME" = "(none)" -o "$CHECK_HOSTNAME" = "localhost" -o
\
        "$CHECK_HOSTNAME" = "localhost.localdomain" ]; then
        return 0
    else
        return 1
    fi