[CentOS] OT: Linux WYSIWYG HTML Editors

Sun Jun 28 23:00:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> I have KomPozer installed, but after using M$ FrontPage for years,
>> KomPozer looks like it is going to have a learning curve and I want to
>> get away from FrontPage and Windows.  I know Mark (MHR) uses
>> SeaMonkey. Wondering if there is anything else I can use on Linux that
>> is easier on a FrontPage user. I found this article:
>> <http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmleditors/tp/aatpwyslinux.htm> when I
>> googled. Recommendations?  TIA!
>
> First of all WYSIWYG and HTML are really mutually exclusive ideas.  The
> *best* you are going to get (if the editor is sane and does not make
> hardwired assumptions about the end-user's browser) is control over the
> relative placement of content.  At worst, the page will like fine in
> one partitular browser, at one partitular window size, with one set of
> fonts installer, and look horrible otherwise, with text and/or graphics
> overlaping, etc.
>
> That said, have you looked at nvu? http://www.net2.com/nvu/
>
> The other option is to move away from 'hand edited HTML' and use a
> web-based CMS, such as WordPress.

Robert: KompoZer is a project that built on nvu, which apparently is a
project that stopped. I just looked at Bluefish, incredibly powerful,
but harder for me to learn to use than KompoZer. Your idea about using
WordPress is a brand new idea for me and I will look into that, as
another option. Thank you. Lanny