[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 30 15:14:48 UTC 2009

> He wants me to do some things for him for free
> (unfortunately I am a freelancer and not a millionaire).

Not for *me*!!!

It's only a matter of perception. I normally don't like
when a SRPM doesn't build, and I believe that until it's
fixed, it should either be removed (alongside with the
corresponing RPMs), or be moved to a "testing" section.
That's all.

But this also means that helping to fix some issues in
such a huge repo is frightening, and as long as it won't
fix the RF<->EPEL incompatibility, I won't see the motivation!

As Dag noted, those 4 newer libs in EPEL that break VLC and MPlayer
(so my repo ugly fixes the issue for *me* and for whoever likes
to use those repos the way *I* do it) are not an easy issue:
should anyone want to rebuild everything in RPMforge that depends on
them, most likely some packages wouldn't build at all!

So: RF can't be "fixed", EPEL can't be "fixed". To avoid the annoyance
of protecting packages and whatnot, I've put in *my* repo Dag's older
libs with versions higher than whatever is now in EPEL, so that EPEL won't
break Dag's VLC and MPlayer. Oh, maybe this breaks some other multimedia
apps from EPEL, but I am not using EPEL for multimedia, so I don't care.

Maybe I am stuck with my ideas, and maybe I should be thinking
"outside of the box". OK, but I also know that "outside of the box
be dragons", so I just won't go outside of the box ;-)

R-C