[CentOS] wan hdlc_ppp and IPv6

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 19:43:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 14:24, Bob Beers<bob.beers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I'll need to back port Krzysztof Halasa's 'ppp for generic hdlc'
> >  patches to the 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5 kernel sources.
> >
> > Has anyone worked on this?  I have tried simply overwriting the
> >  drivers/net/wan directory with corresponding directory from
> >  more recent (2.6.25.20, 2.6.30) vanilla kernel source, but I get errors:
>
> Instead of copying a whole subdirectory from a later kernel (which
> will likely not work), you can try to apply only the patch you need to
> the current version of the kernel.

Yes, I knew this was unlikely to work.

> There are instructions on how to build a custom kernel based on the
> CentOS kernel but with additional patches here:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

I am familiar with this page and also the very helpful
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules>  :)

> I believe this is the patch you want to apply, right?
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2008/3/14/1165494

Yes, I've been through this thread a couple of times.  There
are several patches actually applied in the course of this thread.
I'll go through it again and try to apply the same patches in the
same order.  And there are a couple other patches that show up
later in the year fixing other things related to hdlc/wan.  Do you know
of a clever way to scan through the change logs for the relevant
entries?

> If so, the comments on the original post on that thread suggests it
> works on kernels up to 2.6.22, that might end up including 2.6.18 as
> well, so you might have luck with that...

Yes, thank you for your reply.  I'll take a whack at it.

--
-Bob