[CentOS] OT: centos.org web site not responding

Tue Mar 17 08:25:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> Had a suggestion I try to get  a different IP from our ISP and if my
>> wife isn't surfing now, I will try that.. Until today, I have only run
>> into one (1) web site that won't let me on, because my IP is in
>> Colombia. CentOS possibly has become the 2nd one. I hope not!
>
> I did some more pinging later on from one of my servers in San Jose,
> California, and saw some signs of route instability at layeredwhazza
> where the next hop after what should have been hte next-to-last one was
> coming from various routers all going 'no route to destination'

John: Thank you for doing that additional testing! I came in here just
before 3 A.M. and powered up the ADSL modem, IPCop box, etc. Probably
have a different IP than I had yesterday. Still can't load pages from
centos.org

One thing that I noticed yesterday, when I pinged centos.org was that
the ping times were varying a lot.  I did not mention that yesterday.
However, at this time, the ping times for centos.org from here are
about the same as they are for my 2 web sites, which are on servers in
different NOCs in CT. Within approximately 5 ms. I also found that the
site I could not load last year is now loading, without any problem.
Sounds like you found a problem they can fix and that they are not
blocking IPs from Colombia.    :-)   Lanny