[CentOS] Installing openmpi & lam for use with R

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Mar 27 09:43:59 UTC 2009

Rick Bilonick schrieb:
> I am trying to install the R package "Rmpi" which needs libmpi. I've
> installed openmpi and lam in Centos 5.2:
>
> [root at rab45-1 /]# rpm -qv openmpi
> openmpi-1.2.5-5.el5
> openmpi-1.2.5-5.el5
> [root at rab45-1 /]# rpm -qv lam
> lam-7.1.2-14.el5
> lam-7.1.2-14.el5
>
> But I get the following error message when trying to install Rmpi:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/lam/lib/libmpi.so when
> searching for -lmpi
>
> I'm not sure what else to install/uninstall to fix this.
>
> Rick B.

Your problem might be confusion about 32 versus 64 bit packages.

Let me guess - you're running a 64bit CentOS (this would explain why the
packages are listed twice)?

To find out about 32/64bit packages it helps to have the following line
in file /etc/rpm/macros:
%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Make sure to install the correct version (32 or 64bit) of Rmpi, and to
tell Rmpi correctly where it should look for the mpi library.

HTH,

Kay