[CentOS] Adobe Flash Install Woes

Chuck chuck.carson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 16:39:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Chuck <chuck.carson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2009/3/29 Chuck <chuck.carson at gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > I am having a hell of a time getting adobe flash to work on a recent 5.2
>> > install.
>>
>> Are you using CentOS 5.2   32 bit or 64 bit?   I'm using 32 bit and
>> have Shockwave Flash installed and working  with Firefox v.3.0.6.
>> Does that work for you? When I test at this URL:
>> <http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/> it shows the 2nd one
>> working: "Adobe Flash Player". For the animation at the top, for
>> "Adobe Shockwave Player" it shows that I need another plugin, so I
>> will try to get that....
>>

> Yes adobe flash player is the one I can't get working. Shockwave came
> default. Here is the version I am running: (with all updates)
>
> Linux billabong 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 12:03:43 EST 2008 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> billabong: ==> file /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object,
> Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
>
> billabong:~ ==> ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar 29 08:41 libflashplayer.so ->
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>
> billabong:~ ==> rpm --verify flash-plugin && echo $?
> 0
>
> I have tried the rpm install and the manual install of adobe flash... md5
> of both binaries is the same.
>

> Thanks for any help,
> CC

Well I can't seem to download a viable firefox tarball... I've just
downloaded to 3 different machines (one vista, one xp, and my centos server)
-- all file sizes are different and bzip complains about a corrupt archive.
I don't see any mirror sites listed on mozilla.com either... /sigh The file
is supposed to be 8.6mb... The largest of my downloads so far was 6.4mb and
it wouldn't extract. So mozilla.com is having some problems... If anyone
knows of a mirror or doesn't mind emailing me the 3.0.8 32-bit tarball I'd
appreciate it. I was really hoping to get my php/oracle dev environment up
today but doesn't look good.

Thanks for any help,
-CC