[CentOS] Help with Sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:38:17 UTC 2009

Alexander Leyva Fonseca wrote:
> Hi list, I'm configuring Sendmail as a mail server in my job but I have
> a modem conection with my provider and at that time  I don know how to
> configure it. I send and receive mails im my lan but I cant do it
> downloading from my provider. Could someone help me?

If you have individual email accounts at the provider, you can use
fetchmail or getmail to connect to those mailboxes, download via POP and
redistribute into your LAN system.

In general, smtp mail expects the recipient host to always be on line.
If you are expecting direct delivery to a mostly-offline host, you need
to arrange for some better connected server to handle your domain with a
DNS MX record and queue the messages for you.  Then you need to schedule
sendmail runs to connect to this host and issue the ETRN command which
tells it to delivery your queue.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com