[CentOS] vsFTP Question

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 20:05:13 UTC 2009

Well, man vsftpd:

VSFTPD(8)                 BSD System Managerâs Manual
VSFTPD(8)

NAME
     vsftpd - Very Secure FTP Daemon

SYNOPSIS
     vsftpd [configuration file]

DESCRIPTION
     vsftpd is the Very Secure File Transfer Protocol Daemon. The server can
be launched via a âsuper-serverâ

Alternatively, vsftpd can be launched in standalone mode, in which case
vsftpd itself will listen on the network. This latter mode is
     easier to use, and recommended. It is activated by setting listen=YES
in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf.  Direct execution of the vsftpd binary
     will then launch the FTP service ready for immediate client
connections.

OPTIONS
     An optional [configuration file] may be given on the command line. This
configuration file has to be owned by root. The default configu-
     ration file is /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf.

SEE ALSO
     vsftpd.conf(5)

BSD                              March 8, 2001
BSD
(

Great. What does that say? Where are my flags? How do I issue a command to
start the service?
man service:

NAME
       service - run a System V init script

SYNOPSIS
       service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS]

       service --status-all

       service --help | -h | --version

DESCRIPTION
       service  runs  a  System V init script in as predictable environment
as possible, removing most environment variables and with current
       working directory set to /.

       The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in
/etc/init.d/SCRIPT.  The supported values of COMMAND depend  on  the
       invoked  script,  service  passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init
script unmodified.  All scripts should support at least the start
       and stop commands.  As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart,
the script is run twice, first with the stop command,  then  with
       the start command.

       service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order,
with the status command.

FILES
       /etc/init.d
              The directory containing System V init scripts.

ENVIRONMENT
       LANG, TERM
              The only environment variables passed to the init scripts.

SEE ALSO
       chkconfig(8), ntsysv(8)

                                   Jan 2006
service(8)
(END)

And what exactly does that tell me? What is my command? What are my options?

Lots of stuff online? I went to several of the pages your googling revealed
before posting and there wasn't anything substantial on any of them. Can you
please be more specific?
TIA,