[CentOS] vsFTP Question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Nov 5 20:35:28 UTC 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> Well, man vsftpd:
>
>     VSFTPD(8)                 BSD System Managerâs
> Manual                VSFTPD(8)

>     SEE ALSO
>          vsftpd.conf(5)
>
> Great. What does that say?

the flags are in that .conf file.  so...

    # man vsftpd.conf

lists the 100 or so options in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

> Where are my flags? How do I issue a command to start the service?
> man service:
>
>     NAME
>            service - run a System V init script
>
>     SYNOPSIS
>            service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS]
>           The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script,
> located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT.  The supported values of COMMAND
> depend  on  the
>            invoked  script,  ...
>
> And what exactly does that tell me? What is my command? What are my
> options?

ls -l /etc/init.d/   shows, amongst other files,

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1778 May 28 09:52 vsftpd

and,
    # service vsftpd
gives...
    Usage: /etc/init.d/vsftpd {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}

so,
    # service vsftpd start
    # service vsftpd restart
    # service vsftpd stop

would be the main commands you'd be interested in to start, restart,
stop the service.   and, as others said,
    # chkconfig vsftpd on

is how you configure it to autostart on reboot.

> Lots of stuff online? I went to several of the pages your googling
> revealed before posting and there wasn't anything substantial on any
> of them. Can you please be more specific?

maybe (l)Unix systems administrator is the wrong career path.

Also, if you prefer more 'book' like documentation, the CentOS/RHEL 5.2
Deployment Guide gives...
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/ch-ftp.html
full documentation on vsftpd although this guide tends to lean on GUI
configuration tools that I generally ignore in favor of the command line
tools.

now, admittedly, none of that quite explains 'users'.   thats because
the 'users' that FTP supports are the SYSTEM users.

    # groupadd ...
    # useradd .....

etc.