[CentOS] [users] Re: screwed up dependencies

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Fri Nov 6 14:22:52 UTC 2009

ken wrote:
> Subsequent to trying to "yum update"-- it failed--, I tried to resolve
> the dependencies piecemeal:
> # yum update faad2
> --> Processing Dependency: libfaad.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
> ---> Package faad2.i386 0:2.7-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> ffmpeg-0.5-2.el5.rf.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
>  --> Missing Dependency: libfaad.so.0 is needed by package
> ffmpeg-0.5-2.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: libfaad.so.0 is needed by package
> ffmpeg-0.5-2.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
> # rpm -q ffmpeg
> ffmpeg-0.5-2.el5.rf
> Could it be that there's a packaging error in faad2 ?

the yum output tells you exactly what is going on here.

ffmpeg needs the file libfaad.so.0.

$ yumdownloader -q faad2
faad2
-2.7
-1
.el5
.rf
.i386
.rpm
| 354 kB     00:00
$ rpm -qlp --provides ./faad2-2.7-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm  | grep libfaad.so
libfaad.so.2
/usr/lib/libfaad.so.2
/usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0
$

the updated faad2 package does not provide libfaad.so.0; it provides
libfaad.so.2, and thus it is not compatible with the installed ffmpeg
package.  your choices are essentially as follows:

* if you need the updated faad2 for some other reason, uninstall ffmpeg
* if you don't need the updated faad2, add faad2 to your exclusion
list for yum so that you don't keep seeing messages about it
* request a rebuild of ffmpeg against the updated faad2

-steve

p.s. please keep further discussion of this issue on <users at lists.rpmforge.net

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v