[CentOS] A problem about upgrade centos5.2

Tue Nov 24 14:43:04 UTC 2009

王行焘 wrote on 11/24/2009 03:09 AM:
> hi,
> i made a mistake that i used centos5.4 i686 to upgrade the centos 5.2
> x86_64,which runs on a server whose cpu is Xeon.The server seems to need
> CentOS X86_64 version. Should i use the CentOS 5.4  X86_64 disk to
> upgrade the CentOS 5.4 i 686?
> Ps.I urgently need to upgrade it because the glibc x86_64 conflicts with
> the i686 one....It drives me crazy and i am hitting my head against the
> wall...
> Should that work well?Should i try that?Please help to let me move on
> with my life....
> Thanks very much!

You should always yse the same architecture for an upgrade.  A yum
upgrade should be possible following the release notes.  The $basearch
variable in yum should point to the correct packages.

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.4

Basically:

yum clean all
yum update glibc\*