[CentOS] Simple way to banish IP addresses ?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Sun Oct 11 23:22:33 UTC 2009

Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Niki Kovacs wrote:
>>>
>>> I just set up a web server... and my bandwidth is being eaten by some
>>> chinese folks trying to brute-force-ssh their way into the machine.
>>>
>>> Is there a simple way to banish either single IP addresses or, maybe
>>> even better, whole IP classes ? I know it's feasible with iptables, but
>>> is there something more easily configurable ?
<snip>
Let me note that at work, the security group has a script set up that does it
automagically, after so many attempts.

And every morning or two in the logs, I see attacks from China, or Mexico, or
Spain, or Taiwan... but then, we are a well-known site.

	mark, supporting the NIH

--
"The Pluto Files", Neil Degrasse Tyson.
Pluto shall rise again! - whitroth