[CentOS] Upgrade to 5.4 with an existing XFS-filesystem

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:36:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:

> I've got a fileserver currently running under 5.3 with the
> /home-partition being an XFS-filesystem. I use the kmod-xfs from
> extras. It works great ;)
>
> Now: as I understand it from the release-notes the 5.4 kernel has XFS
> already built-in. Right? Or is it just a kmod-package ("technology
> preview")
>
> Now my question is: are there any recommendations for an
> upgrade-procedure? I mean, I can probably manage, but I'll want to
> minimize downtime

> BTW: when doing "yum list updates" I don't see any "kernel*"-packages
> in the list. Is this because the last kernel from the 5.3-updates has
> the same build-numer (164 I think)? And is the 5.4-base-kernel the
> same as the latest 5.3-updates-kernel?

The -164 kernel is indeed from 5.4 and has xfs as a built-in kernel
module.  If you are already running this kernel, that indicates all is
well and no further action is needed.

Could you show us the output returned by:

ls -l `find /lib/modules -name xfs.ko`

Akemi