[CentOS] File Server using ISCSI attached storage - Hardware HBA ?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Oct 21 21:59:13 UTC 2009

Clint Dilks wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I am looking at setting up a File Server that uses ISCSI storage.  It is
> the first time I have done this, so I am wanting to get peoples thoughts
> on whether for CentOS systems you should use Hardware based ISCSI HBA's?
>
> If so do I need to be careful about what HBA I use ?  Currently I am
> looking at purchasing a Dell System using  Broadcom ethernet cards/
> ISCSI HBA.  From google searching it seems QLogic HBA's are quite popular ?
>
> Any suggestions or experience you can offer appreciated.

Depends on the load, most file servers aren't that busy in
which case software iSCSI would be fine. HBAs are good for
things like booting via iSCSI. Qlogic HBAs are good yes though
they are limited to 1Gbps of throughput. Chelsio seems to
be popular as well for 10Gbps at least.

Many modern broadcom chips have iSCSI offload ability as well,
though I haven't tested it myself under linux at least.

What iSCSI system will you be connecting your servers to?

nate