[CentOS] Low End NAS hardware.

The Eye In The Sky syiwabhairawa at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Oct 22 06:30:17 UTC 2009

Drew wrote:
> My questions is, for a small home server that runs apache/php/mysql
> and Samba, how well do the Mini-ITX boards like the VIA C3/7 & Intel
> Atoms handle this sort of task? I've used VIA systems as MythTV
> frontends but never as file/web servers. I'd expect they'd do fine for
> home use but I've never tried.

I run FreeNAS, which is ZFS file server, apache+php but no database, and
with Bittorrent continuously running, on an Intel Mini ITX motherboard,
the single core Intel 280 (or 270? forgot) with the 2 GB RAM. CPU
Utilization rarely reach 50%. Only goes to 60% when I am running Unison
over SSH.
And the RAM usage is around 60% from 2GB with full Bittorrent access.
The only bad thing about the this Intel Atom motherboard is that it only
have 2 port SATA. Thus I need to install Sil3114 4 port SATA to drive
the other 4 disks. Now my system is running 6 SATA disks and booted from
an PATA Compact Flash. Since I used up the only PCI slot for the SATA
card, I must be happy with its onboard 100BaseT network.

Therefore, I think for your requirement, the Intel Atom are just fine.
You may go to the dual core Atom 330 with Gigabit Ethernet since the
price difference is negligible.