[CentOS] Upgrading CentOS 5.3 from local mirror

Lorenzo Quatrini lorenzo.quatrini at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:15:23 UTC 2009

2009/10/25 Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>:
> On 10/23/2009 06:10 PM, Jonathan Moore wrote:
>>
>> What I was really looking for was a little more detail on exactly what
>> I *must* have from the mirror to successfully upgrade.
>>

> If you want to download the minimum number of packages, the easiest
> answer is: use a proxy server.
>
> export http_proxy=http://proxy.foo.com:8888
> yum upgrade

I'm on the same situation and I use IntelligentMirror and squid to
cache all the rpm packages regardless of the mirror.
Also I set up the mirror line on the /etc/yum.conf
One word of warning if you want to go to the same route: you have to
setup 2 different mirrors for x86_64 and i386 arch., because there are
i386 packages built for the x86_64 platform that have the same name
but different checksum/content than the one for i386.

HTH
Lorenzo