[CentOS] getting ftp log reports

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 18 15:35:27 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> 	Thanks. I've installed logwatch. It definitely looks like what i'm
> looking for. I've got a question on customizations, point of confusion
> actually.
> 	In /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf are the default configs, nothing
> is in /usr/share/logwatch/dist.conf, and nothing in /etc/logwatch in terms
> of configs. Do i make changes to /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/* files
> or
> copy them to their equivalent name place in /etc/logwatch and edit making
> changes to those?
> 	Thanks much.

I actually don't know. They run logwatch here, and I just look at the emails.

Every hour. Every day. Every machine....

Anyway, looking through our configs, I see that what's in
/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf just says "# Local configuration options
go here (defaults are in /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logwatch.conf)".
So I gather that if the defaults are fine, go with that; if you want
something different, use the defaults as a guide, and put the local stuff
in etc.

         mark