[CentOS] gdm-simple-greeter config?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 18 15:54:09 UTC 2009

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:42,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> grep face /home/<username> -r
>>
>> Please. I'm not "send me the directions how to set up ssl with my web
>> server".
>>
>> I've tried, as last resorts,
>> find /var -type f -exec grep -il <username>/.face {} \;
>> and in addition to /var, I tried /etc and /tmp, and the *only* thing
>> grep
>> gave me were the logfiles that had the entries.
>
> But you clearly have ADD or something...

Why is that?

> The file is probably referred in one of the .gnome*/.gconf* files
> inside the home directory. Just because the home is not mounted at the
> time of login it doesn't mean that the gdm-greeter won't mount it,
> then read its config files from there, then try to look for the
> missing file.
<snip>
Oh, so the answer to my question is that gnome's simple greeter is reading
*his* configuration files - is this as he's logging on? - from his home
directory.

However, I don't see the message from any other server (and we have a good
number), so I don't understand why it wouldn't show up from another 10-30
machines.

But obviously I'm missing something that you're overlooking in your
over-familiarity with gnome and gnome-simple-greeter.

         mark