[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Sep 30 19:00:06 UTC 2009

>If you are very well firewalled and trust all the local users you might
>get away with ignoring security updates but it's mostly a matter of
>luck.  With the stock CentOS components, your downtime for an update is
>normally just a reboot and problems are extremely rare.  If you'd added
>custom or 3rd party code items there's a somewhat greater risk, but it
>is still pretty unlikely that an update would break things - or that you
>wouldn't have heard about other people having a problem.

That's just not always correct. Again, a sec update that is not applicable
doesn't make sense to update to, and there many other circumstances to.

Ironically, I broke this very box once by updating it. I had expected to have
had to update DAHDI as it builds against the kernel, but something I never figured
out become not compatible with the version of asterisk. It seg faulted every
time I tried to start it.

I ended up enabling the ast repo and updating asterisk as well after and it
started fine. But it cost me a couple hours, and there was no fscking need to
update. It's even firewalled from the local users. I wasted a bunch of time
for nothing...

YMMV,
jlc