[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:05:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are still exposed to anything that is on the local LAN - which could
> include other machines that might have been compromised through browser
> exploits, etc. unless the segment only connects to IP phones (and you
> lose the ability to use soft phones).  Linux is less vulnerable to most
> of these than windows would be, but still, if you know there are updates
> to fix known security  issues you are pressing your luck if you don't
> install them.

That's the impression that I got, that the CentOS/Asterisk box was
just connected to standard SIP hard phones and to TDM analog lines.
(Like a traditional key system.)

> Phone switches are particularly attractive targets to hackers:
> http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=580

Even without being connected to a VOIP trunks or the LAN, phone
systems are vulnerable to security breaches. Often voice mail has
"outdialing" features. So a system can be set up to go into voice mail
and then out to anywhere in the world.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3