[CentOS] iTunes on CentOS?? [Solved]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:12:57 UTC 2010

On 4/20/2010 9:28 AM, ken wrote:

>> That's not really the same.  I subscribe to several different podcasts that
>> update on different schedules.  They are mostly tech-news related so I always
>> want to listen to the most recent, going on to older material as I catch up.
>> And since I listen in the car I'd prefer to have the content pre-loaded and
>> sorted appropriately in a playlist so it doesn't take any fiddling to play.  The
>> itunes->ipod scheme gets the details right automatically, including remembering
>> the position in an older but unfinished piece and deleting after the content has
>> been heard or skipped.  The piece I'd like to eliminate is the need to sync
>> daily to a specific computer to make it work - but so far haven't seen any other
>> software that gets the concepts right.
>>

> What kind of player do you have in your car that you can play podcasts
> (even though they might require syncing)?

I have a 1st-gen ipod nano that I plug into the aux jack or a cassette
adapter. Not exactly hi-tech, but at least it's small and the same
plug-in for charging also does the sync automatically.

> And what tech podcasts do you tune into?

Cnet's Buzz Out Loud,  Leo Laport's TWIT (actually anything with Leo
Laport is good - he is one of the few tech geeks that has real TV
experience and can keep a conversation moving), Cranky Geeks, FLOSS
weekly.  There are probably lots of others but I can't keep up with these.

> (Though I've been getting podcasts to my home PC, playing them in the
> car sounds like a move I should consider.)

I have a 40 minute commute and this is like talk radio that stops and
starts at my convenience.  Oddly, one of the frequent topics is about
how music purchases and listening are down (and how the industry blames
it on piracy) but it hasn't dawned on any of them that _they_ are the
reason.  There are a bazillion podcasts for every interest that fill up
the same entertainment hours that could have been music instead.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com